The most popular type of can crusher without any doubt is a vertical or wall mounted can crusher. But there are some occasions that you cannot mount a crusher to a wall and need to install it to a horizontal surface such as table, or you don’t want to install the crusher at all and use it as a portable can crusher. For this case you need to purchase one of tools called portable can crushers. There are very few portable can crushers when compared to large count of wall mounted crushers, but those few who are worth considering we have listed here.
|Can Pactor||12 oz||Plastic||4.5|
|Kitchen Craft crusher||20 oz||Steel||4.5|
|EZ can crusher||12 oz||Plastic||4|
|Frog can crusher||12 oz||Plastic||4|
Commercial Zone Can Pactor
The most popular portable can crusher without any doubt is Can Pactor by Commercial Zone. This is a plastic can crusher that has got some very useful additions. By default Can Pactor is a single can crusher that will compress cans up to 12 oz size, but what differs this tool from others on the market is that you can purchase the crusher with additional can collection bin. This allows you to choose whether to use the crusher as a horizontal can crusher and mount in to a horizontal surface such as a table top, as a vertical can crusher by installing it to a wall or purchase the can collection bin and use the tool as a portable can crusher.
The aluminum can crusher can take cans up to 12 oz size, so it will not be able to crush larger 16 oz cans. As this is a tool made from plastic it can only be used to compress aluminum cans and shouldn’t be used to crush cans from any harder materials such as tin or steel. The unit itself is very easy to operate, but the real advantage comes with the can collection bin. The crushing unit can be mounted on the top of the recycling bin in a slightly tilted angle, so when you crush a can it automatically slides inside the collection bin. This feature does not always work properly, so you will sometimes need to push a can into the collection bin with hand. Can Pactor crusher has got one of the largest can collection bin with a 30 gallon (113 l) capacity and will hold up to 400 compressed 12 oz aluminum cans. Both single crushing unit or crusher together with a can collection bin are portable tools and can be used anywhere. The main pros and cons of the Commercial Zone Can Pactor with collection bin we have listed below:
Commercial Zone Can Pactor advantages
- The crushing unit can be used in any position. You can install it vertically to a wall; horizontally to a table top or use on ground with a can collection bin;
- Portable tool, can be used practically anywhere and does not need to installed;
- When combined with a can collection bin makes the crushing a more convenient process;
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors because plastic parts won’t start to rust.
Commercial Zone Can Pactor disadvantages
- Will crush only up to 12 oz large cans;
- The crusher with collection bin will cost significantly more than single can crushers;
- The crushing process will take a bit more effort than with a wall mounted unit;
- Because cans are compressed in the middle and not from the top, they cannot be compressed to such a small size than with other crushers.
Kitchen Craft can crusher
Kitchen Craft can crusher is a durable can crusher that can be used to compress not only aluminum, but more durable tin and steel food cans. This crusher will also compress large size cans and will take cans even up to 20 oz size. So if you need a can crusher that can compress practically any type of food and drink cans, than this Kitchen Craft crusher will fit your needs.
This is one of the few foot operated can crushers and it is also a portable crusher, so you can use it in any place you need. Foot operated crushers usually aren’t so easy to use as wall mounted units and takes a little more effort and time to crush a can, but they still allow to crush cans much easier than crushing them with your hands or feet.
The tool is equipped with multiple useful features that eases the crushing process. First of all it has got a support bar with two positions, one for smaller cans and other for larger cans up to 20 oz size. Support bar helps to hold cans into position, so they don’t pop out in the crushing process. On top of the crusher there is a pierce screw that helps to crush cans from thicker materials. Also there is a magnet on the crusher so you can distinguish steel cans from aluminum cans for recycling. We have gathered the pros and cons of this tool:
Kitchen Craft can crusher advantages
- Compresses cans from smaller 12 oz up to large 20 oz size;
- Will crush not only aluminum but also steel cans;
- Lots of useful features such as support bar that holds can in place when crushing, pierce screw that helps crushing cans from thicker materials, a magnet to distinguish aluminum from steel cans, a hanger for easier storage of the crusher.
Kitchen Craft can crusher disadvantages
- Does not compress cans to such a small size as most wall mounted crushers;
- More difficult to use than a vertical can crusher, especially when compressing large quantity of cans.
EZ can crusher
EZ is another portable can crusher that can be installed in any position – vertical, horizontal or used as a portable can crusher. This tool is made from a durable plastic material called polyurethane, which means that the tool can be used either indoors or outdoors. This plastic can crusher will compress aluminum cans up to 12 oz size.
The design of EZ can crusher is very similar to Commercial Zone Can Pactor. The tool is in a black color and has got three mounting holes on the body of the crusher and it can be installed to a vertical surface such as a wall or to a horizontal surface such as table. If you don’t want to mount the crusher to any surface, you can also use it as a portable tool. This way you can put the crusher away when not in use, so it does not take up unnecessary space in your room. EZ can crusher is suitable for those who do not drink a lot from aluminum cans and just need to occasionally crush a can, but do not want to do it with their hands or feet or don’t have a place or don’t want to install a wall mounted crusher in their house. This aluminum can crusher, same as other portable crushers is harder to use than wall mounted crushers and you won’t be able to crush aluminum cans in such a fast pace. The pros and cons of EZ can crusher are listed below:
EZ can crusher advantages
- It has got a multi position design and can be installed horizontally or vertically, or can be used as a portable can crusher;
- Strong plastic construction will compress 12 oz cans without a problem;
- Compact size.
EZ can crusher disadvantages
- Will only crush cans up to 12 oz size;
- More harder to use than wall mounted vertical can crushers;
- Pretty high price for a single can crusher.
Frog can crusher
Frog can crusher is a very simple portable can crusher that is designed in a way to be more appealing to children. This can crusher is a foot operated tool, so it cannot be installed to any surface, but it is portable so you can use it practically anywhere. The crusher is made from a plastic material, which may seem weak at first, but actually is quite durable. The hinges of the crusher are also made from plastic, the top of the crusher needs to be lifted up to insert a can into the opening. Frog can crusher will compress regular aluminum cans up to 12 oz size. A can sits firmly in the can crusher’s chamber, so it is quite easy to compress it, as the can does not pop out of the crusher. This is an advantage for the crusher, because even some wall mounted crushers throw cans out in the middle of the crushing process.
One of the best advantages of the crusher is its attractive design. This is the only can crusher we found that has a more creative design and does not look like a large metal or plastic tool you would mount in your garage in the best case. The frog crusher has got a flat head, so you can stomp on the top of the crusher easier. Design of the crusher will also attract kids with the green, smiling frog looks. This is a great way to involve your kids into recycling and green living. Just remember that a can crusher, although it might look like a smiling frog, actually is not a toy and so it must be used with caution and do not allow kids to crush aluminum cans without your supervision.
Frog can crusher advantages
- Light and portable tool can be used anywhere;
- Attractive and friendly design, a great way to involve your kids into can recycling;
- Strong plastic construction will allow to crush a lot of aluminum cans.
Frog can crusher disadvantages
- Can only be used to compress regular 12 oz and smaller aluminum cans;
- Same as with other foot operated crushers takes more effort to crush a can and is slower than most vertical crushers.